INTENSE PULSE LIGHT (IPL) FAQ
Q: Why should I consider IPL treatments?
A: IPL is a great foundational treatment because it can help treat so many skin concerns with little to no downtime. So many of us have sun damage, pigment, broken capillaries, or fine lines, that if treated, would give us an instantly fresher look. IPL is that treatment.
Q: Can IPL treat scarring?
A: The intent of IPL is not to treat scarring. You may see improvement with scarring after your treatment due to overall improvement in skin texture and pores, however this is not the focus of IPL.
Q: Does it hurt?
A: IPL treatments can feel “snappy” but tolerable. Your treatments will feel different, depending on the amount of energy and the depth of treatment you receive. Each treatment may change based on the skin concern being treated.
Q: Why do you recommend a series of treatments?
A: As with any treatment (or starting an exercise routine), usually 1 treatment will not fully address a skin concern. Our Aesthetic Nurse will conduct a thorough consult with you and recommend the number of treatments as well as a maintenance protocol for your concern.
Laser hair reduction: This series is scheduled to coincide with hair growth. Depending on the area to be treated, you’ll return when hair growth cycle begins again, so the IPL can target it.
Considerations before a treatment:
- Hydrate well (with water) day before, day of and day after treatment. IPL likes hydrated cells.
- Avoid tanning, sunburn, and direct sun exposure for at least 2 weeks prior to each treatment.
- Use sunscreen with SPF30+ daily for the duration of treatment.
- Stop using products containing high strength alpha hydroxy acid (such as glycolic or lactic acid) 1-2 weeks prior to treatment.
- Contraindications: Recent sunburn or tanning, pregnancy, breast feeding, cancer, lupus, pacemaker.