Does your skin feel dull? Missing the hydrated dewiness. Has it started changing in the last year? You’re not alone.
Clients often say their skin feels dull. This may be because our skin cells aren’t renewing as quickly. In our 20’s, a skin cycle turnover happens in about 30 days. When in our 60’s, it’s about 60 days. There are several ways to help improve the hydrated, dewiness of our skin.
For anyone trying to “up” their glow, we recommend peptides. I often include growth factors when discussing peptides because our favorite serum includes BOTH in a product that delivers fabulous results.
Let’s dive into why peptides are a must have, powerhouse ingredient to have in your skincare routine.
Peptides are amino acids which make up specific proteins needed by the skin.
When peptides are absorbed by the skin, they do several things…
- Repair: Our skin is constantly being barraged by environmental factors, such as smoke, pollution, sun. Peptides help repair the skin so it can be its healthiest.
- Boost collagen production: Collagen is made of three polypeptide chains, so adding peptides can tell your skin to produce collagen and elastin. Stimulating collagen is important because our natural production slows down in our 20’s. More collagen and elastin lead to firmer, more elastic, hydrated skin.
- Skin Hydration: Healthier and more hydrated skin helps to minimize the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
- Anti-inflammatory: Peptides help soothe and calm irritated skin. This helps in calming and healing skin. Great news for those who might have redness due to rosacea or want to improve healing after skin treatments.
Because peptides can help sooth and heal skin, we recommend applying a good peptide 2 weeks BEFORE treatments. It helps the skin prepare for a treatment, and then be ready for improved healing after treatment.
Unlike some topicals (such as Vitamin C and Retinol type products), peptides are usually handled well by all skin types, even sensitive skin.
Our favorite peptide product includes growth factors as well. They both can work together, even on sensitive, acneic skin. It’s amazingly hydrating for dry skin.
- BioSerum: Our favorite serum is very effective in getting skin healthy and glowing with its high concentrations of peptides and growth factor.
- BioCream: A moisturizer format that glides on to hydrate skin. We liken it to BioSerum’s little sis.